The Secretariat is headed by an Executive Secretary appointed by the Summit for a term of three years, renewable once.
The secretariat functions are:
- Ensure the proper functioning of the Commission,
- implement the decisions of the Summit and Council,
- Prepare reports, decision projects and agreements, for consideration by the Summit and the Council
- Formulate recommendations likely to contribute to the functioning and effective and harmonious development of the Commission;
- Ensure the technical services for meetings of the Summit and the Council, as well as of the specialized committees;
- Assume the role of custodian of the documents and the Commission’s assets;
- Prepare the budget of the Commission;
Perform such other functions as the Conference or the Council entrust to the Secretariat.